What Are Traditional Braces?
The least expensive of all types of braces for adults are the traditional, stainless steel versions that are bonded to the front of your teeth. The brackets can come in different shapes and sizes depending on the company that makes them. One thing they all have in common is that each bracket has edges known as “wings” where metal or elastic bands can be tied around, to hold the orthodontic wire in place. Braces aren’t just for teenagers! Teeth can be straightened at any age. Now more than ever, wearing braces is much more efficient, convenient and comfortable. You can even add your own style to your traditional metal braces with colored bands. Show team spirit or celebrate a holiday with colored bands of your choosing!
Advantages To Traditional Braces
- These metal brackets won’t stain or chip.
- Traditional braces are a good, cost-effective option for kids, teens and adults.
- Because of their durability and cost-effectiveness, they are the most popular braces for kids.
- Traditional braces also have a new, fun twist without any extra cost – color! At each appointment, we fit new elastics around the metal brackets that holds the wire in. The possibilities of color combinations are endless, which makes getting braces more exciting for kids!
Disadvantages To Traditional Braces
- Metal braces can irritate gums and cheeks at first.
- The metal brackets are very noticeable.
- You have to watch what you eat, avoiding things that can stick to the braces, such as caramel or gum. You also have to avoid eating hard foods, which can move or dislodge the braces.
Want to shorten your treatment timeline?
AcceleDent® Aura is an FDA-cleared medical device that can be used along with fixed braces. When used for 20 minutes each day, AcceleDent can shorten your treatment timeline by up to 50%! AcceleDent works by producing gentle pulses that safely and gently speed up tooth movement. The lightweight, easy-to-use device has been clinically shown to accelerate orthodontic treatment and to decrease the discomfort associated with treatment.