All About Braces
Brushing and Flossing
It’s more important than ever to brush and floss regularly when you have braces, so the teeth and gums are healthy during orthodontic treatment. Patients who do not keep their teeth clean may require more frequent visits to the dentist for a professional cleaning. Adults who have a history of gum disease should also see a periodontist during orthodontic treatment. Watch the two videos below on the proper care of braces during orthodontic treatment.
Eating with Braces
What can you eat? Let’s talk about what you shouldn’t eat! For the first day or so, stick to soft foods. Avoid tough meats, hard breads, and raw vegetables. Before long, you’ll be able to bite a cucumber again. But you’ll need to protect your orthodontic appliances when you eat for as long as you’re wearing braces.
Foods to Avoid
- Chewy foods: bagels, hard rolls, licorice
- Crunchy foods: popcorn, ice
- Sticky foods: caramels, gum
- Hard foods: nuts, candy
- Foods you have to bite into: corn on the cob, apples, carrots
Chewing on hard things (for example, pens, pencils or fingernails) can damage the braces. Damaged braces will cause treatment to take longer.
In order to help our patients maintain good oral health throughout treatment many products from Philips SONICARE are offered for purchase in our offices
When you get your braces on, you may feel general soreness in your mouth and teeth may be tender to biting pressures for 3 – 5 days. Take Tylenol or whatever you normally take for headache or discomfort. The lips, cheeks and tongue may also become irritated for one to two weeks as they toughen and become accustomed to the braces. We will supply wax to put on the braces in irritated areas to lessen discomfort.
This is to be expected throughout treatment. Don’t worry! It’s normal. Teeth must loosen first so they can move. The teeth will firm up in their new — corrected — positions after treatment is completed.
Don’t be alarmed if a wire or band comes loose. This happens occasionally. If a wire sticks out and is irritating, use a blunt instrument (eraser end of a pencil) and carefully, gently push the irritating wire back under the archwire. Simply get it out of the way. If irritation to the lips or mouth continues, place wax or wet cotton on the wire to reduce the annoyance. Call our office as soon as possible for an appointment to check and repair the problem.
To successfully complete orthodontic treatment, the patient must work together with the orthodontist. The teeth and jaws can only move toward their corrected positions if the patient consistently wears the rubber bands or other appliances as prescribed. Lack of cooperation following instructions and damaged appliances lengthen the treatment time… so please … follow instructions.
If you play sports, it’s important you let us know. A protective mouthguard is provided for playing contact sports.
Invisalign in the Hudson Valley
Dr. Ahmed Mansour of Sunshine Orthodontics is one of the only Elite Providers of Invisalign and Invisalign Teen in the Dutchess County of NY. We are one the first Invisalign providers in the Hudson Valley of NY to use the iTero digital scanner that eliminates the need for unpleasant impressions of the teeth for Invisalign.
The Invisalign system is the nearly invisible way to straighten your teeth and achieve the smile you’ve always wanted. Dr. Mansour uses advanced 3-D computer imaging technology, paired with Invisalign to gradually shift your teeth to the final, desired position. Your Invisalign treatment time will be determined based on your specific needs.
Many of our patients would never have considered pursuing traditional, metal braces, but are now happily and comfortably improving their smiles with Invisalign. We have treated countless cases with this leading edge appliance system.
A “BRACELESS” Alternative to Traditional Metal Braces!
Have you ever wished for a straighter, healthier smile, but not looked forward to all the metal wires and bands that often go along with braces? At Sunshine Orthodontics we can make your dream of having a new smile come to life, and without any metal! Dr. Mansour is a certified Invisalign orthodontist in New York, giving patients a “clearly” effective and incredibly comfortable way to wear braces!
If you’re interested in learning more about Invisalign in New York, contact our office and schedule your complimentary orthodontic consultation.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign uses a series of customized, clear aligners to straighten teeth in a quicker amount of time and with fewer office visits than traditional braces. Thousands of orthodontists in the United States and Canada use Invisalign braces to accurately and effectively treat their patients. Invisalign aligners are:
- Completely invisible – Invisalign aligners cannot be seen while you are wearing them! Friends, family members and co-workers may never even know you are wearing braces, unless of course you tell them!
- Comfortable to wear – The aligners are made from a special plastic that has smooth, rounded edges so they won’t irritate your mouth and tissues like traditional braces often can.
- Customized just for you – Your Invisalign aligners are customized to fit your mouth. Dr. Mansour uses advanced 3-D computer imaging technology to replicate an exact impression of your mouth and teeth, then he customizes each aligner so that it fits your mouth, and over time moves your teeth into the proper position.
- Removable –Unlike traditional metal braces, you can remove your aligners to eat, drink, brush your teeth, floss and for special occasions. There’s no need to change your lifestyle with Invisalign!
- Effective – You will begin to notice a significant difference even before your treatment is complete! Most treatments are complete within one year; however this can vary from patient to patient.
People in New York and all around are beginning to experience the benefits of Invisalign treatment. Here’s why people just like you are choosing Invisalign over traditional braces:
- With Invisalign you can have a straighter, healthier smile without all the noticeable wires and brackets of traditional braces. Invisalign helps improve your overall oral health by making it easier to brush and floss, while also maintaining the proper tooth structure.
- Invisalign aligners are removable making it easy for you to enjoy the foods you love without worrying about breaking your appliance. You can also remove your Invisalign aligners to brush and floss regularly.
- You don’t need to change anything about your current lifestyle! With Invisalign you can continue participating in day-to-day activities without changing a thing. Invisalign is great for professionals, athletes, brides, and parents.
- Office visits and checkups are easy, quick, and painless. You will also need to schedule fewer appointments throughout your entire treatment.
The most commonly asked question from our patients is “how long will this treatment take?” With traditional braces, treatment times can take between 18 and 30 months; but with an Invisalign treatment in New York, it may only take between nine to 15 months. That’s almost half the time of traditional braces!
Using our iTero Intraoral Scanner, we are able to show you a virtual preview of what your Invisalign outcome could be!
When you begin your Invisalign treatment you will receive several sets of custom fit aligners. Each set of aligners is worn for only one week. After that week, you can switch your aligners with the next set and continue straightening your teeth. Over time you will notice changes in the alignment of your teeth, and in just a few months you will have a straighter, healthier smile!
Schedule an initial consultation today with Dr. Mansour to learn how you can straighten your teeth with Invisalign in New York!
AcceleDent® Aura is an FDA-cleared medical device that can be used along with clear aligners. When used for 20 minutes each day, AcceleDent can shorten your treatment timeline by up to 50%!
AcceleDent works by producing gentle pulses that safely and gently speed up tooth movement. The lightweight, easy-to-use device has been clinically shown to accelerate orthodontic treatment and to decrease the discomfort associated with treatment.
The Propel System is a simple 3-step procedure that, when used in conjunction with any orthodontic treatment, can move teeth 60% faster! Propel Orthodontics developed innovative orthodontic devices that can dramatically accelerate the rate at which teeth are moved and in turn, shorten the length of your orthodontic treatment.